New Study Shows Why Companies Developing Covid-19 Treatments Need Women on Their Boards
“In a (brand new) study…focused on the medical products industry – which includes medical devices, pharmaceuticals and biologics – a group of researchers found that…firms with female directors announced (life-threatening) high-severity product recalls 28 days sooner.” The Study’s Executive Summary, April 20, 2020
So, before you get that stent put in or new COVID-19 treatment or vaccine, find out how many women are on the board. It could literally save your life, according to a new first-of-its-kind study by a group of researchers from four top universities, which found that public medical products companies with more women on their boards recalled defective more often and much sooner that all-male or one-woman boards.
Listen to one of the study’s co-authors, Dr. Corinne Post of Lehigh University, in this important interview on Green Connections Radio podcast with host Joan Michelson.
- How they analyzed 4,271 medical product recalls by 92 companies between 2002 and 2013.
- Why women tend to be more focused on quality control and FDA compliance, and ask tough questions of senior management.
- How influential boards of directors really are – and when they are especially influential.
- Why just having women on the board is not enough; it’s about what happens in the room.
- Plus great career advice!
“I would recommend exploring ways to bring (your) knowledge to a new area, a new firm, a new venue, sort of bridging, (because)… that’s always where there’s room for growth, and for learning and for impact…You could…contribute new knowledge and potential innovative outcomes.” Corinne Post on Green Connections Radio podcast
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Mary Lee Gannon, Executive coach and healthcare foundation CEO.
- Jennifer Wisdom ,career and management coach focused on positive office politics.
- Ingrid Daubechies, “Genius” awardee, Duke University professor, whose work you use every day.
- Sarah Cho, Director of Research and SurveyMonkey on measuring inclusion.
- Laura Liswood, Diversity expert and Secretary General of the Council of Women World Leaders
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Reach us on Twitter @joanmichelson