A Data-Based Approach to Conservation & Why She Changed Careers
“We say data-based because as you work with both the science community and the business community, the best way to bring those communities to the table is to talk to them in their own language. To talk in terms of return, to talk in terms total impact.” Joni Carswell on Green Connections Radio podcast
Scientists are saying the coronavirus may have come from the destruction of the natural habitats of wild animals due to development, deforestation or climate change – and that there are more infectious diseases in likely our future as a result. What can we do about it besides keep “social distancing” and protect ourselves and other people?
Listen to Joni Carswell, CEO of a nonprofit founded by Former First Lady Laura Bush called Texan By Nature, describe their creative data-based approach to conservation and how they are bringing the business community into habitat, water and prairie restoration, to Green Connections Radio host Joan Michelson is this podcast interview. Carswell is decidedly not your typical nonprofit CEO either…..
- What “return on impact” is and why it’s bringing the business community into the conservation effort – for their own bottom line, not for charity.
- The way they structure their partnerships so that they serve the business, the planet and all the partners.
- How they are “proving the science” and helping businesses and nonprofits collect and analyze data they never considered before.
- Why she took the leap to change careers – from never being in environmental work before.
- Plus great career advice!
“Look out at your path, at your history and the things that you think don’t have anything to do with one another, and use those things to innovate in your space. Because you have the single unique way of looking at a puzzle that no one else does, and…be an outlier. Use those different ways that you’ve seen the world to solve problems..” Joni Carswell on Green Connections Radio
What do you wish companies would do in conservation and why? Tweet it to us @joanmichelson or post them on our Facebook Page — and ask to join our private Facebook group.
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Kathleen Rogers, CEO of Earth Day Network, on Earth Day’s 50th anniversary and what we need to do now to save the planet.
- Ashley Bell, actress, producer and director, on rescuing Asian elephants from abusive environments.
- Laura Dolan ,Owner of Applied Imagination, on making miniature landmark buildings from plants and other botanicals.
- Beth Colleton, former Chief Sustainability Officer of the NFL and NBCUniversal on integrating purpose into your branding.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Reach us on Twitter @joanmichelson