As COVID-19 spreads across the world and every country is aching for treatments and vaccines to stop it, listen to Joan’s conversation with a remarkable innovator tackling some of the toughest medical challenges.
Dr. Maria Freire is President of the Foundation of the National Institutes of Health (FNIH) and she developed a unique structure for expediting medical innovations. What can we learn from her? This interview was conducted before the coronavirus pandemic but Dr. Freire’s methodology is relevant to consider how to address it.
• The key role of artificial intelligence and robotics, as well as the human genome, that Freire says makes this “one of the best times for science” and public health.
• How their research focuses on “the inflection point” in the research that will lead to the greatest scientific breakthrough the quickest.
• How the FNIH’s unique business model drives innovation for public health challenges faster, with more new ideas, voices.
• How biomarkers tell stories and could tell us about the impact of environmental issues on our health.
• The importance of having “the right people in the room…(including) “the voice of the patient,” regulators, the private sector who can bring it to patients, and “intellectual disruptors.”
• Plus great career advice, such as, “You need to learn to wield your power, the power you give yourselves” and to do so “with gravitas,” Dr. Freire says.
What did Dr. Freire say that resonated with YOU?
Tweet us @joanmichelson or post it on our Facebook Page — and ask to join our private Facebook group.
You’ll also like:
- Courtney Bickert, Comedienne and social innovator
- Rasha Hasaneen, Ingersoll Rand, VP of Product Manufacturing Excellence & Innovation
- Alfia Ilicheva & Maria Potorczyn, Women in Innovation
- Marti Elder, TechLink, who helps bring government innovations to market
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers.
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Reach us on Twitter @joanmichelson