“Scenario planning…is really about trying to think, what could the future look like? And, how can we adapt and prepare for whatever the future might hold?
“You do that by identifying what are the underlying drivers? What’s going to shape the future one way or the other?”
Nardia Haigh on Green Connections Radio
The only thing certain is uncertainty – in our careers, our businesses, in preparing your community for the impact of climate change, or in our personal lives. So, how do we possibly prepare?
Dr. Nardia Haigh suggests using scenario planning, a methodology she described in seven steps to Green Connections Radio host Joan Michelson in this enlightening interview, that we can apply to any decisions, as she did in her new book, Scenario Planning for Climate Change. She helps her students at the University of Massachusetts Boston apply it to their career decisions too.
You’ll hear – and want to take notes!:
- What the seven steps are and how to apply them to anything.
- Examples of scenario planning in real situations and different time horizons.
- How it helps you identify the factors you might otherwise miss in other decision-making processes.
- How to focus on what will matter most, no matter what happens.
- Insightful career advice too!
“Think about the recipients of your work….think about the impact your work is having on the families (for example), rather than just the task at hand.” Nardia Haigh on Green Connections Radio
Read Joan’s Forbes blog about Nardia’s planning system too.
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Rawlings Miller of WSP on developing a climate resilience plan for your community or business.
- Kathy Baughman McLeod of the new Atlantic Council Resilience Center, on climate resilience preparation.
- Katie Krimitsos, Biz Women Rock, on year-end business planning
- Rita Trehan, former head of HR at Honeywell, AES Energy Global, on career planning.
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts and special offers!
Reach us on Twitter @joanmichelson