Many companies collect diversity and jobs data and review it internally, but don’t want to release it publicly, “because it doesn’t always make them look very good,” But, she added, different sources collect and report data on gender differently, and others lack the resources or incentives to either collect or report it.
Roberta Rincon on Green Connections Radio podcast
We bemoan Big Data because it seems they have every possible piece of data about us. But, when it comes to data we need on women in STEM, somehow the systems are not there to collect consistent data over time, I discovered. Not even the federal government. The Bureau of Labor Statistics collects some, but it seems every organization has its own definitions.
Listen to Roberta Rincon, head of Research at the Society of Women Engineers explain the issues on data, and that women engineers face in this engaging conversation with Green Connections Radio host Joan Michelson.
- Why the data is so bad when it comes to women in STEM and what we can do about it.
- What we can learn from other countries.
- The different types of bias women engineers face, like “prove it again bias,” and how they are disguised.
- What we can do in our own organizations to help reduce bias and drive inclusion.
- ..great career advice for women in any career.
“Think of your career as more of a jungle gym, go sideways or down to go up…(and) Most of the time, (the problem) is not you.” Roberta Rincon on Green Connections Radio podcast
Read my Forbes blog about this issue here too.
You’ll also like:
- Brenda Darden Wilkerson, CEO of Anita Borg Institute for Women in Technology
- Barbara Whye, new Chief Diversity Officer of Apple, formerly CDO and VP of HR at Intel.
- Telle Whitney, former CEO, Anita Borg Institute for Women in Technology, cofounder of Grace Hopper Conference
- Maggi Reiss, on a new GCM study on women achievers
- Heather Metcalf, head of Research, Assn. of Women in Science on how to get more women in STEM
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts and special offers!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson