With a new Secretary of Defense coming in, and an Acting Secretary of Homeland Security, it’s important to remember the national security implications of climate change.
Listen to Joan Michelson’s fascinating (and a bit frightening) interview with former Deputy Secretary of Defense, and former Senior Vice President and General Counsel and Military Advisor at CNA, a top national security think tank, Sherri Goodman on how climate relates to national security. She personally shifted the DoD’s mindset on these issues when she was in the Pentagon as the first Deputy Secretary of Environment.
Listen to Sherri Goodman explain:
- How climate change is a national security issue.
- How wars start over water, food, natural resources.
- Why your area might not get what it needs in a disaster because of it.
- What we can do about it – and tell our Members of Congress and Mayors to do.
Note: This interview was conducted while she was at CNA, which she has since left, It aired originally on this podcast about 3 years ago and is still relevant today, though some of the players have changed.
You’ll also like:
· Rawlings Miller of WSP on developing a climate resilience plan for your community or business.
· Ellen Wald, Phd, author of “Saudi, Inc.” about oil, national security and geopolitics, specifically in relation to U.S./Saudi Arabia.
· Kathy Baughman McLeod of the new Atlantic Council Resilience Center.
· Karen Lightman, of Carnegie Mellon U’s Smart Cities Initiative.
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Also, join our Facebook Page and share your insights!
Reach us on Twitter @joanmichelson